What to Look for When Visiting Older Adults During the Holidays
The Condition of the Home
- Is it messier or more cluttered than usual?
- Is there spoiled food in the refrigerator or cupboards?
- Are bills not being paid on time?
- Are household goods being put away in the wrong places?
The Person’s Condition
- Do they have unexplained weight loss?
- Are they wearing clothes that are dirty or inappropriate for the weather?
- Are they having trouble with toileting or basic hygiene such as showering or brushing their teeth?
- Have they fallen recently?
- Do they appear to be off-balance?
- Are they having difficulty sleeping?
The Person’s Behaviors
- Are they missing scheduled medical visits or telehealth appointments?
- Are they forgetting to refill prescriptions or take medications as prescribed?
- Do they seem confused when you talk to them about topics they’d normally understand?
- Are they exhibiting any personality changes or mood swings?