, Alzheimer's and Dementia
What is DementiaWise?
- DementiaWise is a dementia care program created by ComForCare.
- The program is person-centered, using behavioral interventions to create better days for clients and their loved ones.
- DementiaWise techniques can help you become a more effective caregiver.
What is the difference between Alzheimer’s & dementia?
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s are often confused.
- Dementia is a group of symptoms involving cognitive impairment.
- There are many types of dementia.
- Alzheimer’s is the most frequently diagnosed type of dementia.
- All Alzheimer’s is dementia. Not all dementia is Alzheimer’s.
How can you become certified?
Reach out to your office director for information on how to sign up for the DementiaWise certification program. Want to know the best part? It’s easy to do! The entirety of the training can be completed online in Relias, our learning management system.
Tips for Working With Clients With Dementia:
- Encourage at least one meaningful activity per shift.
- ComForCare/At Your Side care enhancement specialist, Steve Toll, provides free music and conversation each weekday at 1 p.m. EST on Facebook Live. Consider tuning in and using this as your meaningful activity to connect with your client.
- Get to know your client so that you can make a more meaningful connection.
- Check yourself before you go into your client’s home. Relax, take a deep breath, and focus on being present.
- Think of how you may be coming across. Keep body language in mind.
- Be aware of changes in your client's behavior or level of function.