What is DementiaWise?
- DementiaWise is a dementia care program created by ComForCare.
- The program is person-centered, using behavioral interventions to create better days for clients and their loved ones.
- DementiaWise techniques can help you become a more effective caregiver.
What is the difference between Alzheimer’s & dementia?
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s are often confused.
- Dementia is a group of symptoms involving cognitive impairment.
- There are many types of dementia.
- Alzheimer’s is the most frequently diagnosed type of dementia.
- All Alzheimer’s is dementia. Not all dementia is Alzheimer’s.
How can you become certified?
Tips for Working With Clients With Dementia:
- Encourage at least one meaningful activity per shift.
- ComForCare/At Your Side care enhancement specialist, Steve Toll, provides free music and conversation each weekday at 1 p.m. EST on Facebook Live. Consider tuning in and using this as your meaningful activity to connect with your client.
- Get to know your client so that you can make a more meaningful connection.
- Check yourself before you go into your client’s home. Relax, take a deep breath, and focus on being present.
- Think of how you may be coming across. Keep body language in mind.
- Be aware of changes in your client's behavior or level of function.