Celebrating Home Care and Hospice Month: How Home Care Can Help
Why Are People Readmitted?
- Understand and follow post-discharge instructions.
- Obtain and take medications as prescribed.
- Schedule and attend follow-up appointments with their primary care physician.
How Can Home Care Help Reduce Readmissions?
- Obtain and review hospital discharge instructions and incorporate these instructions into the client-specific care plan.
- Pick up prescriptions, provide medication reminders and help the client adhere to their prescribed regimen.
- Educate the client, caregivers and family members on “red flag” warning signs for chronic conditions.
- Assist clients with scheduling and attending follow-up medical appointments.
- Communicate with the client’s discharge planner, health coach or other health care professionals and their family members.
- Assist with bathing, grooming and personal hygiene.
- Help with meal preparation, laundry and light housekeeping.
- Identify trip hazards, and make home safety recommendations.
- Provide companionship.