Tips for Aging In Place from ComForCare in Plymouth, MI
Plan for the Future -Now
As your parents or other loved ones age, you will start to look ahead and consider ways to help them prepare to live at home as long as possible. Considerations for staying at home may include you and your spouse. Some changes will inevitably take place over the next 10, 20, or 30 years in your vision, strength, balance, coordination, and hearing. Your home may have to be modified to accommodate a wheelchair or other such devices.
Now is the time to prepare to "age in place!"
- Add extra lamps, and install motion-sensing nightlights
- Make sure light switches are near all doors and stairs
- Make sure lamps and switches are easily reached from beds
- Do not use throw rugs unless they are slip-resistant
- Elevate seating or purchase seat assist for toilets and chairs
- Install secure handrails and grab bars in showers
- Install sit- in showers and tubs
- Purchase a bed that is lower, and even automated for comfort
- Keep a good supply of batteries and lightbulbs
- Keep communication devices in good working order
- Make emergency contacts easily accessible, like speed dial
- Store things on lower shelves that you use every day
- Minimize stairs and if possible, replace stairs with ramps
- Eliminate clutter to clear pathways
- Ensure smooth sidewalks and driveways
Think ahead! Consider a plan for the following:
- Grocery delivery services
- Personal emergency response systems
- Automated medication dispensers
- Hearing devices
- Cell phones or other ways to stay connected
- Meal delivery services
These tips will make your home a safe place to "age in place” and prepare for your best life. At some point in our lives, each of us will need help, and that is most often in our senior years. Family and friends will be there for us, but an in-home care resource like ComForCare can certainly provide help and ease the minds of everyone in the family.
Whether your loved one needs assistance only a few hours a week or around-the-clock, our team is happy to help! Call (734) 414-1981 to learn more about the transition care services offered through ComForCare Home Care (Plymouth, MI).